Monday, April 11, 2022

Vintage Seiko 6139-7020 chronograph "Apple or Flying Saucer"

Seiko has produced so many good chronographs that it seems you just cannot stop trying to collect them. The vintage chronographs include many 6138's and 6139's, many of which I have in my collection. The 6139-7020 is part of the 6139 family and features crescent lugs and scoops that earned it the "apple" or "flying saucer" nickname.

This Speed Timer features a nice sub-dial for the chronograph and day and date complications. The day display may be set for either Kanji or English.

Side view showing the crown and buttons

The other side view

Case back showing the serial number that indicates the watch to have been manufactured in May 1971.

Close up of the dial, which is in very good condition.

The obligatory wrist shot

Like other 6139s, there is no moving second hand for the watch so you can't easily see if its running. Others suggest to just let the big chronograph hand run as a substitute to the second hand. There is supposed to be a restrain on this hand and freeing it means less wear on the restrain. The watch recently stopped while in use and when this became frequent, it was clear it was time to bring it to my watch guy for routine maintenance. I haven't checked on the batch of watches I left with him to check as I had been busy the past few weeks but I trust that they are in good hands. Perhaps I can pick up a watch or two this Holy Week.

-

No comments: