Monday, February 20, 2023

The Seiko Philippine Sunrise 4R36-11M0

The second official Philippines limited edition watch from Seiko is called the "Philippine Sunrise" due to its color design that is supposed to evoke the beautiful sunrises in the islands. I was not able to reserve one from a Seiko store so I did not expect to acquire one from a Seiko store. I learned that it sold very quickly and that includes units being bought by resellers (or scalpers as I call them) who buy several units of the watch to be resold for profit. As such, the price of a BNIB (brand new in box) piece escalated quickly. A casual question to the staff on a chance visit to the Seiko store at SM Aura (the wife and daughter were shopping for clothes at a nearby store) allowed me to inquire about the watch. And they had good news for me after I asked if they had by chance still had a unit available. They had one last unit, which was originally reserved but was not claimed and paid for by a customer. As fate would have it, the unit was mine, months after most if not all 1,000 units were sold.

The watch features a golden dial and bezel. It has day and date complications.

Side view showing the crown and the gold-colored bezel.

The other side view

The watch came with a stainless steel oyster bracelet.

The case back showing this watch as a limited edition model. This is unit 811 of 1,000 units produced that was released in the Philippine market.

Close-up of the waffle dial. The day wheel is in English and Spanish.

Wrist shot with the two other official Philippines Limited Edition watches - the Tubbataha and the Eiko/ Philippine Eagle.

The watch is powered by a Cal. 4R36 that runs at 21,600 A/h with a potential power reserve of ~40 hours. It can be hand wound and has a hacking feature (the second hand stops when you adjust the time). I have worn the watch for swimming in Cebu and Bohol. It is one of my favorites and is an easy choice whenever I go on trips recently either as my primary or back-up watch.

-

No comments: