Saturday, December 9, 2023

Comfort food: Beef hayashi rice at Botejyu

We now have many options for our Japanese food cravings. There's a Ramen Nagi, Marugame Udon and Botejyu nearby as well as our favorite local Japanese restaurant in ABCT at the Sakura Circle. Aside from our usual meals of ramen, tempura, curry, sushi, zaru soba, I kind of missed the beef hayashi rice. I used to have this for quick lunches at the university canteen at Yokohama National University. They serve really good hayashi rice there, which is filling and satisfying while also kind on the wallet.

Hayashi rice was one of my usual meals at the shokudo or canteen at the university

I sometime call it beef slop, which is how I describe this dish. It is similar to the simple curry rice that I also enjoyed as a quick meal. It is another meal that I associate with happy memories in Japan together with friends from different countries. 

-

No comments: