Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday musings

It's Good Friday to most Christians around the world and though it is really Easter that we should look forward to, the entire week leading to Easter Sunday is often a time used for reflection or meditation. That is, if you are one to take time out from an otherwise busy schedule - one full of work that is made into part  of an excuse for "securing the future." I like taking times off including very short ones during the day when I take breathers between classes, meetings and other responsibilities. Such breathers, I confirm, make it easier to go through the day particularly when the activities seem to be routine like scheduled lectures and regular meetings.

Perhaps the breathers I like the most are those that require me to travel. One such trip was to participate in discussions pertaining to the future of transport in the ASEAN region where our hosts organized the workshop in Bali, Indonesia. I must admit it was quite awkward for many of us to be dressed to work in a noted resort where every other guest at the hotel seemed to be in bathing or swimming attire rather than wearing suits or formal batik. Then there are the meetings and field work outside Metro Manila that I like going to as they offer a change in environment. Sometimes, though, these out of town activities afford little time for diversions. In fact, I have had meetings in Cebu, Iloilo, Roxas and Gen. Santos that required me to travel to and from the cities within the same day. These were made possible by the frequent and relatively inexpensive flights to these cities that made day trips more practical and affordable than overnighters. 

-




No comments: