Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Flashback: The Coast at Santa, Ilocos Sur

Returning to Manila from our transport and traffic surveys in Vigan and Bantay, we happened upon the coastal town of Santa after crossing the Quirino Bridge. We were not able to see and appreciate the coastal attractions of the area en route to Vigan as it was already night time when we passed through the area. On our return trip, we did not hesitate to make stopovers in order to explore a bit especially when we saw that it was low tide and we could walk to some of the exposed rocks. We also had enough film to take souvenir photos - for posterity.

Shrine built atop a rock off the coast of Santa in Ilocos Sur
Posing among the rocks and at a safe distance from the waters
Posing with the rocks and the shrine in the background
I think I could have taken better photos if I had a digital camera at the time but I have no regrets with shots like this where one could only see the outcome after having the film developed
Posing along the sea wall
With Glenn Latonero and Roy Velasco
With Alorna Abao
Glenn took this shot from afar with me exploring the exposed rocks while Alorna was posing near some workers
Guess what we were doing?
It was quite windy along the coast and it shows with my hair swept up in the photos

On the rocks - the background is quite bright but it still works given the "souvenir" purpose of the shot
I remember the jacket I was wearing was a Pierre Cardin knock-off I bought at an ukay-ukay (thrift) shop in Vigan. It was a bit rainy at times during our surveys (it was August and well into the wet season) and it got a little cooler at night time. I also remember Roy and Alorna coming straight from the La Union surveys, and were already looking for additional clean clothes to change with. I was not able to bring a good jacket for the rains and so when the opportunity to check out a popular thrift shop in Vigan came, we all bought a few clothes. To be sure, we went straight to a laundry to have our finds and our soiled clothes washed/cleaned. We were joking among ourselves that we had to do this before wearing the ukay-ukay clothes as we didn't know who the former owners of the clothes were and how clean they were when sold in the shop. I gave away the jacket a few weeks after we returned to Manila as I had no use of it and I never became comfortable using it outside of the necessity during our surveys.
-

No comments: