Thursday, May 24, 2012

Salivating on salads

Eating healthy shouldn't be a problem in the Philippines with all the vegetables and fruits practically available all year round. There is also the country's wealth in aquatic resources that provides a bountiful harvest of fish and other marine items that are often the subject of abuse and therefore associated with issues pertaining to overfishing and poaching. For balance, of course, there are poultry, beef, pork and other meat that are also readily available. The best quality items, of course, might be a little pricey at supermarkets so it pays to also be knowledgeable of your local wet market.

Salads are quite easy to make with most if not all ingredients available at groceries or supermarkets. You just have to be picky with the greens as some tend to spoil easily once taken out of their sealed packages. I like my salads with fruits, which can be purchased canned but I prefer the fresh or dried variety that we can slice and mix with the greens. I also prefer vinaigrette over mayo-based dressings. If I had fruits, I may just pass on the dressing as the juices mingle with the greens and provide, for me, an excellent substitute to dressings. For greens, we usually get romaine lettuce and arugula. I have learned to like arugula but I prefer to eat with with apples. There is something in the apple's juices that mix quite well with the bitter arugula that results in a very tasty treat.

Flap Jack's Mango Exotica includes romain lettuce, croutons, raisins, grilled chicken and, of course, ripe mangoes

No comments: