Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Taho!

Taho is made of processed soy beans (soft tofu) sweetened with arnibal (caramelized sugar with vanilla) and sprinkled with sago (tapioca pearls). It is a very popular street food in the Philippines and is usually taken in the mornings when ambulant vendors roam the streets lugging two aluminum containers, one holding the warm tofu and the other the arnibal and sago. It is popular as a merienda or dessert not only among kids but also adults who enjoy its taste. I have always enjoyed a generous serving of taho since I was a child and we had our suki vendor arriving on schedule on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I remember I usually have a tall glass or a mug to fill with taho. The price for the non-standard serving is usually negotiated but in our case, the vendor usually gives us a discount for being regular customers.

Fill the glass with warm smooth soft taho
Add arnibal and sago
Another look at the arnibal and sago
Mix a little with a spoon
And voila! Delicious taho on a warm summer morning
Can't get enough - always a generous serving of taho for me!
There are also taho vendors at the university and you can even find stalls in the mall. I heard some restaurants have also served taho (in some cases flavored or gourmet style). But it is the street variety which I usually prefer. For the uninitiated, just be a little meticulous or inquisitive about where you get your taho. There have been reports and even documentaries showing unsanitary conditions of taho preparation in some areas and so it is good practice to be a little choosy when buying taho. We still have our suki in Cainta and at the university so I am quite confident I won't get sick with my taho.
-

No comments: