Saturday, August 13, 2016

Rainy days are here again

It's been raining everyday for about two weeks now. The past few days were really bad with heavy rains, torrential at some times, everywhere. The downpours have caused floods in many places and while flash floods along major roads have usually caused traffic congestion, the floods in large areas especially residential lands are the most undesirable kind. Obviously, the continuous rains made it cooler (masarap matulog) but that comfort can only be enjoyed if you have a roof on top of you and if the water isn't rising from under you.

This is what very low to zero visibility looks like. Heavy rains over the mountains of Antipolo obscuring homes from view.
Driving under very low visibility conditions is quite dangerous. Roads are slippery or flooded. Mountain roads can be foggy. And
I still take a look at the Marikina River's water level everytime I pass the bridge along Marcos Highway. I have learned to correlate what I observed with my experiences of floods in Cainta and Antipolo, and this is from almost 3 decades that I am writing about. And so I can tell whether it is already flooded in areas I am familiar with and how deep they are relative to each place.

This is the first wet season that we don't have to worry about our old home since we sold that house last summer. Based on the rains the last few days and especially from yesterday to today I'm quite sure the streets in the previous subdivision we resided in are flooded. I just hope the floods won't enter homes. Of course, we disclosed to potential buyers including the eventual one that extreme rains can lead to flooding there and we told them about the Ondoy experience as well as the "Habagat" one in 2012. Last year was a good year as they only experienced floods on the streets. We hope it will be the same this year and perhaps there will be improvements in the future.
-

No comments: