Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Orchids at Mama's Garden

I had written about my mother's fondness for plants, especially orchids. I recall that she was so delighted by the waling-waling I had brought from Davao from my first trip there. It took some time before that orchid flowered and when it did, it was so impressive. Unfortunately and mysteriously, the orchid died after flowering. Mama and Tatay believed that the waling-waling was indeed for Davao only. That was over 15 years ago and perhaps I need to go back and get some samples of the orchid again to prove that it will grow here. Anyhow, following are two falenopsis orchids currently in full bloom at my mother's garden in Cainta.

These falenopsis orchids are the latest in her collection
It seemed a coincidence that the orchids we gave her a few years ago are currently in full bloom

She also has dendrobiums and vandas but these have no flowers now. I noticed this afternoon though that one dendrobium just started to grow the stem from which flowers will come out of. Mama no longer uses fertilizers to induce the orchids and just let them be. I will take some more photos next time I visit my parents' home.
-

No comments: