Thursday, June 7, 2018

Doxa manual wind watch

Doxa is another Swiss brand that almost disappeared during the 1970s when quartz watches, mainly those made in Japan, flooded the market with relatively inexpensive watches. It was supposed to have survived but to me somewhat seems obscure compared to the more popular Swiss brands. In fact, I have been to many international airports including Dubai, Schipol, Narita, Changi, Hong Kong and Incheon but haven't seen their watches there.

Simple watch face with pencil hands and no day or date complications. I like watches with sub-seconds. Its probably why I took this one.

The case body and particularly the back has been polished. I was actually more curious about the mechanism with the leather strap. Its a quick release of sorts that allows you to detach the straps from the watch.

I recorded the storage twice for this watch and I got an average of 52 hours on full winds. The watch though runs late and loses about 21 minutes per day! So I had it serviced and learned the back was actually made of zinc thus the unusual feel of the material when it was removed to show the movement. I was not able to take a photo of the movement but it was unsigned so it may be a generic movement unlike the other watches I've featured that were all signed and could be verified as either Swiss or Japanese made.

I got back the watch a couple of weeks after, and my watchman told me that it had a Swiss movement and beat at 18,000 bph. He was also surprised to learn it ran for more than 2 days after observing it a number of times. I observed it twice since and recorded about 52 hours each time.

Here's the watch on my wrist.

-

No comments: