Sunday, July 1, 2018

Glashütte Spezimatic Cal. 75, World Timer

Among my favorites is this Glashütte World Timer. The brand is German and is now classified as a luxury watch under the brand Glashütte Original and part of the Swatch Group. This came about from the privatization of what was VEB Glashütter Uhrenbetriebe (GUB) of East Germany as I have written previously.

The first thing I noticed about the watch, and which makes it rare, is the inclusion of Manila on the rotating bezel. Most world timers will only have Hong Kong, which is in the same time zone as Manila.
The watch's bezel is pretty beaten up but that adds to the allure and value of the watch. It was probably a daily beater for the previous owner and not something worn on special occasions only.
Another side view showing the crown and the date feature
The watch back showing it to be waterproof (wasserdicht), shockproof (stossgesichert) and of stainless steel (edelstahl). It also shows the watch was made in the GDR or East Germany.
Close-up of the watch face showing the very interesting (to me) color combination and the 'Made in GDR'.
The watch on my wrist as I worked on a presentation.
As I picked up a couple of watches I had cleaned, I asked my watch guy to open the back to check if the watch needed maintenance. I took advantage and got this photo of the movement. The watch is in better condition than my UFO, which I had serviced recently.
Here is a clearer photo of the movement, which is a GUB Caliber 75, the same as my UFO, which runs on 18,000 A/h.
The watch is supposed to have a power reserve of 37h but I have recorded this to last about 39 to 40 hours. The watch keeps good time and I use it regularly in my rotation. The current rotation is comprised of this watch, my Kokutetsu Citizen Homer, and my Mido Ocean Star Cal. 80. :)
-

No comments: