Monday, July 9, 2018

Omikron manual wind vintage watch

Another watch brand I have learned about and had been watching out for is Omikron. It seems to make sense to name a watch after another Greek letter. Omega, after all, is one of the premium brands around. And so it also seemed logical to get one of these discontinued brands. The original Omikron company closed shop in the 1990s and those that now carry the "brand" are bogus. So the vintage ones are the real deal in terms of being Swiss made and good quality watches.

There's something about sub-dials that attracts my attention. The watch has sword hands and no day or date complications.
Here's a side view with the crown.
Signed crown
Another side view
Close up of the crown showing the Omikron logo
It's the second time I got a watch that had something etched at the back. Using Google translate or any other online translation tool, you can decipher the Russian into a name and that this watch was an award for 10 years of service.
Here's a close for those wanting to read it or try out a translation tool.
Observing this watch for a few days gave me an average of 44 hours for a full wind. This was again at par with many if not most manual wind watches. And given its age, it is in great condition functionally and aesthetically.

The watch on my wrist as I was lounging at my parents' home
I plan to let go of this and other watches soon as I would like them to be enjoyed by others. I have my regular rotation among my collection and would probably use the proceeds for future acquisitions.
-

No comments: