Thursday, December 6, 2018

King Seiko 44-9990

The opportunity presented itself and so I was able to acquire another King Seiko (KS) recently. This one is another manually wound watch that has what has been termed as a 'low beat' movement.

The watch has a simple face and without day or date complications.
The back is in very good condition with the exception of the medallion, which is already damaged. This means it would be better to use a nato or zulu strap instead of a metal bracelet or leather straps that would probably be more suitable for this vintage watch.
Unique signed crown contributes to the authenticity of the watch.
The model number at the bottom of the dial is consistent with the one at the back. This is also another important match one must verify when acquiring these Seiko watches.
The watch on my wrist after I fitted it with a nato strap.
Seiko's 44A movement is a classic and this one runs quite well. This runs at 18,000 bph.

The serial number on the watch indicates date of manufacture as March 1968. I recently timed it after a full wind and it lasted 43 hours. Not bad at all for a 50-year old watch. I've read one article where the assessment was that this was KS movement that was highly regarded as being at par with the Grand Seiko movement from its time. I would agree as 5 decades after, the watch is still a dependable piece.
-
Note: I let go of this watch last December 2019. The new owner was quite happy with his first KS. I hope it gets more wrist time than it had with me. It's one of the watches that didn't quite make it to my changing, weekly rotations. [4/6/2020]
-

No comments: