Saturday, December 8, 2018

Sturmanskie vintage watch

I have something of a fascination of watches associated with adventures especially those with space. Perhaps that was what attracted me to save up for what I considered as my grail watch - the Omega Speedmaster. But though the Speedy was the first watch on the moon (worn by Buzz Aldrin when he stepped on the moon as the second man to do so - Armstrong left his on the lunar module when he was first), the first watch in space is an honor given to the Sturmanskie, which was worn by Yuri Gagarin of the then Soviet Union. Here is my Sturmanskie by Poljot.

I tried on the watch after I replaced the strap it came with with this nice leather nato.
Here's a closer look at the watch
Side view showing the worn crown
Another side view showing wear on the case
Back of the watch
Here is a photo of the movement as posted by the store where I got my Sturmanskie
Here's another wrist shot

It's a nice model that you can get without the proverbial "breaking the bank" or "putting a hole on your pocket". Obviously, the Omega moonwatch will set you back thousands of dollars and the Bulova perhaps about 15,000 pesos. Just don't get the Sturmanskie spin-offs including the relatively more expensive chronographs Poljot came out with but are also in demand.
-

No comments: