Saturday, December 1, 2018

Oberon "digital" vintage watch

One of the souvenirs from my trip to the Netherlands in March is this watch I picked up from the outdoor market at Enschede last Good Friday. I found the watch to be quite unique and I have never owned a 'jump hour' watch. It functioned well when I got it but then I observed that the minute dial stopped everytime it hit the 55 minute mark so I had it serviced immediately. It took a while but its now back and in tip top shape as far as vintage watches go.

The watch is an attempt to be digital but with some analogue features.
The watch face actually looks like a weighing scale.
Case back showing the watch to be antimagnetic and shock-protected. Nothing there about it being water resistant.
Side view showing the crown
Side view
Another side view with the crown
The watch with its original bracelet that I have decided not to replace.
Another look at the dial, which to me resembled a weighing scale

As I mentioned earlier, I took it to the repairman and the assessment was that some parts had to be replaced. It was a while before he finally found the parts; thanks to an old pocket watch he was able to purchase for parts. I now have the watch back with me and its still under observation after 2 weeks. Here are photos of the movement:

Manual movement for the Oberon
The movement is signed and here's a close-up
The watch is working well and I wind it everyday just so I can check if something's wrong. I've worn it only three times since I had it serviced. However, this frequency of use is due to my current rotation of watches including my favorite Seikos. I thought the watch was a really good souvenir from my first trip to Europe and I got it from an open market set in Enschede on a Good Friday. Nice memories go with this watch.
-

No comments: