Monday, March 4, 2019

Junghans vintage watch with Cal. 687 movement

My watch collection includes several German brand watches. I have written about the Glashuttes, the Laco, the Anker and the Pallas. This time, I write about another watch that is also quite collectible - Junghans. This is a 17-jewel manual wind watch I acquired only this year.

This watch has a simple dial - no day or date feature. It says Made in Germany at the bottom of the dial.
Side view showing the crown
The other side view. You can notice that the strap had been 'customized' so it would fit the 17mm lugs for this watch. Cutting off part of the leather can be tricky as the strap might become loose if more material than what was intended were removed.
A very clean case back showing the watch to be of stainless steel, shockproof and water-protected. I assume this Junghans was a model intended for the international market as, unlike the Glashutte watches I previously featured, the features are in English (instead of in German).
Here is a wrist shot of the watch
The watch runs on a Junghans Cal. 687 movement running at 18,000 bph with an original power reserve of 45h. This was a photo I took with the old strap still on the watch.
I have worn the watch several times and it runs very well. Each time, it has functioned for more than 40 hours while gaining only a few second over that period. Not bad for a watch that was probably made between 1963-1969, which makes this 50 or more years old.

Note: I said goodbye to this watch a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, another collector got it so I know its in good hands (wrist?) rather than it being peddled for profit [June 12, 2019].
-

No comments: