Sunday, September 22, 2019

On airline food - Manila to Colombo via Singapore

Traveling to Sri Lanka via Singapore was my preferred route over the ones via Kuala Lumpur or Bangkok. Though the last two are great destinations. I bet KL is despite haven't being able to go there yet. I have been to Malaysia and by land but went to Melaka. And I have been to Bangkok many times before. But I consider Singapore as another home; perhaps a close third to Japan's second. And Changi is the best airport in the world, and great for layovers like the one I made between Manila and Colombo. Here's a few photos I took of the inflight meals on Cebu Pacific and Sri Lankan Airlines.

We were running out of seats for the Manila-Singapore leg of our trip so I bought tickets that included a meal. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to change the meal from the default choice so we ended up with Beef Bulgogi for breakfast.
It wasn't bad and could pass off as tapsilog (tapa/beef strips, sinangag/fried rice and itlog/egg)-like meal but without the egg and on the spicy side.

The Singapore - Colombo leg of my trip was on board Sri Lankan Airlines. This was a legacy carrier and not a low cost carrier like Cebu Pacific. In fact, Sri Lankan Airlines is part of the One World alliance so I was able to credit the miles to my JAL card.

I chose the fish and noodles with the broccoli instead of the chicken curry and rice. I was worried by stomach won''t agree with the curry and we still had hours of travel ahead of us. True to form for a legacy carrier, the food was better than what we had at Cebu Pacific even though we were at economy class.

Overall, I thought the food was okay for both legs of my Manila-Singapore-Colombo trip. The Singapore-Colombo leg even had excellent tea after our meal. What would you have expected for a Sri Lankan carrier? They do produce the best tea in the world!
-

No comments: