Monday, September 2, 2019

Vintage Helbros self-winding watch from the former West Germany

We open September with a watch post. This one's a vintage Helbros automatic watch that caught my attention for it being automatic and made in West Germany. I have many watches made in East Germany (German Democratic Republic or GDR), where the Glashutte factory and many others were located prior to the re-integration of Germany. And it was the first time I same 'West Germany' explicitly stated on a watch.

Watch dial with day and date features
Side view showing the crown
The other side view
Case back showing this watch to tbe made in West Germany
Here's the obligatory wrist shot
Close-up of the dial - "selfwinding" is another term for "automatic"
Another wrist shot

I have only two Helbros watches. The other is a manually wound alarm watch (my only one now after I let go of my Seiko Bellmatic).  I intend to keep the two for a while so these are safe from the recent culling I've been doing to my collection. I have not had this watch serviced and so have not seen the movement. I assume this is running at 18,000 beats per hour, which is common for watches this old (I also assume this was from the 1960s to 1970s). The sweeping second hand though makes it look like this one's got a high beat movement.

-

No comments: