Sunday, December 29, 2019

Vintage Grand Seiko 6146-8000

Did you get what you wished for as Christmas present(s)? I certainly did and I now have a couple of Grand Seiko watches thanks to some luck through a suki seller from Fukuoka, Japan. Both are models of the popular 61GS - one 6145 and a 6146. Here are photos of the Grand Seiko 6146-8000. I just had to change the leather strap on this immediately after it was delivered. Good thing that I could easily transfer straps from other watches.

The watch has both day and date features. This model only has the English day wheel.
Side view showing the signed crown
The other side view
Case back showing the medallion and serial number. Based on the serial number, this watch was manufactured in July 1969.
The routine wrist shot
This watch is powered by a 6146A movement that runs at 36,000 A/h. The hi-beat movement matches those of my KS 4502 and Longines Ultra-chron.
Another photo of the movement showing the model number

I said these were Christmas presents because these normally cost twice, thrice or four times the prices I got them for. And the watches were in great condition so I was surprised few were bidding for the watches. I was expecting more competition as the clock wound towards the end of bidding and I couldn't really do a stake out as I was driving home both times the auctions ended. I guess, these were proverbially "for me"? I will feature the other GS before the year ends.
-

No comments: