Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Vintage Citizen alarm watch

I have been looking for a vintage Citizen alarm watch but not the digital one nor one with 4 hands (the 4th being the alarm time indicator). I was looking for one that's designed like my JLC Memovox with the alarm indicator integrated into the dial. This model has been an elusive one and I have seen very few of the model. The opportunity presented itself twice before and in both times I was not able to land the watches. But third time's the charm as they say. And so I finally got one and with a unique feature - a mother-of-pearl dial.

Raised hour marks over the mother-of-pearl dial
Side view showing the two crowns. The crown at 2 o'clock is for the alarm settings while the one at 4 o'clock is for the time settings. Each is also for winding with one for the alarm and the other for the watch to run.
The other side view
Case back showing what looks like a hole but is actually a feature of the alarm
Close-up showing the mother-of-pearl dial and the roughly retouched alarm setting indicator
The obligatory wrist shot

I have observed it several times already since I've acquired it and it doesn't seem to gain or lose significant time over the observation period. It typically runs for about 46 hours on a full wind. Again, not bad for a watch made in the late 1950s. Based on the specs, this one's about 61 years old.
 
[I said farewell to this watch last December 2020. It took only a few minutes before it found a buyer. I decided to sell it cheap and hopefully it'll find more TLC and wrist time with the new owner. 2/11/2021]
-

No comments: