Monday, May 4, 2020

Guilty pleasures: Spanish style sardines

I was taking stock of our food reserves for the quarantine period. Most of these are bottled or canned goods. Our usual stock (for typical rainy days or emergencies) doubled for the enhanced quarantine period as we wanted to assure our household that we had food to eat just in case markets and supermarkets were closed or had restricted operations. It turned out that these were all open albeit only during the day because of the curfew so we ended up with a significant food cache.

Among the food we have on stock are several bottles of sardines I bought from my last travel to Zamboanga last January 2020. I am usually on the lookout for high quality sardines and Zamboanga definitely has these with fishing as one of the major industries of this city surrounded by the Sulu Sea to the west and the Moro Gulf to the east. The last time I had sardines this good outside of the locally-made bottled sardines in the supermarkets was when my friends gave me top quality sardines from Dipolog, where many if not most of the top quality sardines are canned or bottled. I bought my supply of sardines at the famous Alavar Seafood Restaurant, which had their brand products for sale. These had to be checked in for our flight back to Manila as airlines don't allow them to be hand-carried.

Spanish style sardines from Zamboanga City

I eat what I believe is a healthy serving of sardines, which is once in a while and not often. I used to have my own stash while I was living in Japan in the 1990s. Those were the Victorias spanish sardines that I love. My parents even found a way of sending me cans of sardines through engineers my father sent to Japan for training. In gratitude, I would show them around Tokyo and Yokohama and treat them to nice meals (welcome breaks from the usual meals they had at the training center canteens). More on sardines in future posts!
-

No comments: