Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Vintage 1959 Seiko Cronos

Here is another vintage watch from Seiko. Seiko produced a lot of watch models including the Liner, Crown, Laurel, Sportsmatic, Weekdater, Champion, Actus (which is actually a Seiko 5), etc. Of course, the more popular lines like Seiko 5, Lord Marvel, Lord Matic (LM), Bell-Matic, King Seiko (KS), and Grand Seiko (GS) along with AGS and Kinetic remain very much in circulation. This one's a Cronos from 1959.
Simple dial with baton hands and distinctive hour markers that seem to be carved into the face
Side view showing the crown
The other side view

Case back bearing the Cronos name
Close-up of the dial. Instead of raised or numbered hour markers, this watch features etches on the dial.
Signed Seikosha hand wound movement - I have not checked exactly what movement caliber this is but I assume that it runs at 18,000 beats per hour, which is the most common for the period when the watch came out.
Inside of the case back bears the serial number and the Suwa logo. Based on the serial number, this watch was manufactured in June 1959.
Wrist shot of the watch
 
I have not had the chance to time how long the watch will run when fully wound. It has a decent power reserve though based on the fact that it runs overnight after I retire it for the day and keeps time. I will update this post once I get a fair measurement of its power reserve. 
 
[I sold this watch last week. It is another watch that didn't get worn considering others in my collection that I favored using. 9/26/2023]
-

No comments: