Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Kewpie salad dressings

In order to enhance the taste of our salads, I decided to get a few bottles of Kewpie dressing. I first encountered these when I first traveled to Japan in the 1990s. My friends introduced me to the different dressings I could buy in the supermarket so I can make salads at my home at the International Center of the university hosting me. At restaurants, they also had these dressings for the usual salad side dishes served with your main order. Since we planted lettuce and other greens during the lock-down, we've been reaping the benefits of the decision to do some "home farming" and now have the greens for daily consumption, which is good for our health. The dressings help to have different tastes for our salads. Hindi ka masusuya o magsasawa.

Among our favorites is this Roasted Sesame dressing that we also enjoy pouring over our shredded cabbage that comes as a side dish to katsu, karaage and other Japanese dishes we order at restaurants.

Their Caesar salad dressing is okay but I am not a fan of this dressing as it still tastes like mayo to me.


There are two other variants of the dressing that I am aware of including a vinaigrette that I prefer over the Roasted Sesame as it is lighter on the salads. Here is a shot of the bottles at the imported goods section of the supermarket.

Kewpie salad dressings among other condiments on the supermarket shelf

I remember taking a photo of the vinaigrette and will post that soon. Perhaps I will take a photo of a salad with the dressings on them?

-


No comments: