Monday, October 26, 2020

Vintage Seiko Chariot 2220-0180

I had been looking for a nice Seiko Chariot after the first acquisition wasn't as nice aesthetically as I wanted my watches to be. I mean I don't mind scratches and patina, even wear or corrosion. That earlier acquisition though looked "dirty" and unkempt rather than aged. And so I chanced upon this elegant piece with the linen dial from one of my suki in Japan. It helped again that few seemed to fancy this model so I got it again for relatively cheap even considering the shipping cost via EMS.

The watch features a linen-textured dial with no day or date complications. There is also no second hand for this watch.

Side view showing the crown, which is unsigned.

The other side view showing the blemishes on the dial

The case back shows the model number and the serial number. The serial number indicates that this watch was manufactured in March 1978.
Close-up of the textured dial - this is a linen texture
Wrist shot the first time I used the watch

The watch is powered by a Cal. 2220 movement that runs at 28,800 beats per hour (hi-beat). The movement is said to have been originally made for women's watches due to its size but eventually found its way to slim men's watches. I have not opened the watch to see the movement in action but this is definitely one of those Seiko models that seem to be under the radar considering most people would probably be collecting the GS, KS, chronographs, divers and others that can tend to be overpriced.

-

No comments: