Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Mushrooms at the supermarket

We love mushrooms and use them frequently in cooking including pasta dishes, fish, meat or poultry dishes, and soups. While we get both the fresh and dried mushrooms, its good to know that we can get a variety of fresh ones, particularly certain ones that are most suitable for certain dishes. Among those we usually bought are shiitake, oyster and button mushrooms, which can be used for many dishes. They're quite versatile compared to the other mushrooms.



I usually get our mushrooms from both the supermarket and the wet market. I usually get my fresh shiitake mushrooms from the wet market where our suking vendor have them either as loose items or vacuum-packed. I get the vacuum-packed for storage and the loose ones if we were to cook using them at lunch or dinner that day. Depending on the quality or condition, I also get my oyster or enoki mushrooms from them but there's another vendor who sells really good quality oyster mushrooms so I also buy from them.

While I associate the mushrooms with those in Plants vs. Zombies and Mario Brothers games, I also associate them with fond memories in Japan when we grilled those big portobello or king oyster mushrooms or perhaps boiled the enoki and shiitake mushrooms with our shabu-shabu.
-

No comments: