Thursday, September 3, 2020

Vintage Sigma watch

I have an Omega and an Omikron. Recently, I was able to acquire another Greek letter brand watch - Sigma. There seems to be little out there about this brand and that is not at all surprising. It probably also tried to ride on Omega's popularity and prestige but couldn't and so faded as the quartz revolution took over in the 1970s.

The watch does not have a day or date feature.
Side view showing the signed crown
The other side view
Case back showing the watch's attributes. Amusing is the term "unbreakable mainspring", which refers to the part that winds to power the watch. Perhaps it means the mainspring is durable?
Wrist shot
Close up of the dial also showing the "unbreakable mainspring" claim for the movement
I haven't had the chance to open the watch to see the movement. I have not had this serviced yet as it is working and keeps time. I assume this runs at the 18,000 A/h typical of the calibers of its time (1960s). I also have not had the chance to time the watch to see how long it will run when fully wound. That may be a task I should do soon.

-

No comments: