Saturday, June 26, 2021

A vintage Ricoh World Time Diver

I had wanted to have a nice Ricoh watch. It's not necessarily on my grail watch list but this brand is no longer there leaving Seiko, Citizen, Orient and Casio as the remaining Japanese brands that you can consider as 'major'. Ricoh watches can be nice and certain pieces I think are collectible. The problem with discontinued brands and models though will be the parts for these watches once they become defective.

The watch has both day and date complications. The bezel rotates as part of the world time feature.

Side view showing the crown

The other side view showing the overall good condition of the case and dial.

It says diver on the case back but the 200 feet on the dial is just 60.96 meters. That's pretty shallow for the typical diver's watches but these were typical of the 'diver' watches of that time including Swiss watches from the 60s and 70s.

Close up of the dial showing a watch that aged well


The obligatory wrist shot. I immediately changed the strap on the watch when I got it as the nato that came with it wasn't a nice match.

Another photo of the watch

This was an unexpected acquisition as I only chanced upon this watch on eBay while I was looking for another Ricoh world timer. The latter is the rare world timer model that had Manila included in the outer bezel. Still, this was a great pick-up and a keeper. The watch keeps time and runs overnight and ready to wear the following day. I guess that means the power storage is still good for the watch. I haven't opened it and have not determined the caliber of the movement so maybe that's another topic to write about in the future.

-

No comments: