Friday, September 3, 2021

Seiko 6119-7173 rally diver

I have a few watches in my collection that have the wrong case backs. One is what I called a franken-watch as the dial and movement didn't match the case back. That was a King Seiko that had a Grand Seiko case back but with a KS medallion on it. I charge that to my not knowing about these details (I picked up that watch in a spring bazaar in Tokyo). Another is a Seiko bullhead that I didn't pay attention to the details but luckily was able to unload to another collector who wasn't so sensitive or picky with the issue. Here's a sought after rally diver that has the wrong back. It was cheap so I didn't mind getting it despite the issue.

This watch has both day and date complications. The bezel rotates and its design is unique to this model.

Side view showing the crown at 4 o'clock.


This is the wrong case back. You can Google the model number and results will show a different 6119 model. The dial number is the more reliable reference in this case.

Close-up of the dial shows the correct dial number and features

The watch is powered by a Cal. 6119C movement, which is the last of the 6119's. Produced between 1969-1975, the caliber dates the watch to that period. The manufacture date indicated in the serial number of the wrong case back falls within that period. The 6119C runs at 21,600 beats per hour with a potential reserve of up to 46h.

The obligatory wrist shot

The watch runs well and keeps decent time. I think it gained about 2 minutes over a week that I wore it regularly. I didn't have to adjust the watch throughout that period. Barring anything that might push me to unload this watch, it will be a keeper for now.

-

No comments: