Friday, September 17, 2021

Vintage Seiko Chariot 2220-3030 - another BMBY

Seiko Chariot watches are among the most affordable vintage watches to collect. I think most of them were made in the 1970s and are powered by Cal. 2220 movement. The Chariot comes in different shapes, colors and textures (for the dial). The one I'm featuring here is a classic tank style. You can probably name some models that came out of the luxury brands including, of course, Cartier.

This model reminds me of the well-known Cartier tank. There are no day or date complications as well as a 'second' hand (only hour and minute hands).

Side view showing the crown

The other side view

Case back showing the serial and model numbers. The serial indicates the watch to have been made in February 1972, my BMBY. Inside the watch is a Cal. 2220A movement that runs at 28,800 A/h. This is a high-beat watch.

Close-up of the linen dial

The dial number can be seen at the bottom.

Here's the Chariot beside my KS, which is another BMBY, after I changed the leather straps to custom-made alligator flanks

I now have five BMBYs - a KS, a World Timer, a Lordmatic, an Actus and this Chariot. The Actus is currently worn by my father who wanted an automatic watch like the one I gave him 25 years ago, a souvenir or pasalubong from my first overseas travel (to Tokyo, Japan). I still have to have his watch serviced though so he's keeping that Actus for now. This Chariot is worn by my wife who quickly spotted the similarities of this homage to the quite popular luxury watch and took a liking to it. I haven't timed the watch so far but we wind in every morning or evening so it keeps running. It keeps good time and we've only made a few adjustments as the wearer prefers to have her watches set at 5 minutes advance.

-

No comments: