Saturday, August 5, 2023

Rain gear made in Vietnam

I have a couple of knock-offs (or are they really overruns?) that I usually wear during the wet season. They perform very well vs. heavy rains. The brand would certainly not be tarnished by the water resistance and breath-ability of the material used in these rain parkas (or jackets as we generally call them in the Philippines). I bought these in Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam during a trip in 2017 where we participated in an international conference. I got a few of them for myself, my daughter and my siblings. The wife already had one she bought at an outlet store in the US.

The parka was very useful vs. the almost 2 weeks of rains we had recently. It kept me dry whenever I used it. I even used it for a walk as the weather also affected my morning exercise.

A well known brand you'll find associated with rain gear, winter wear and shoes is Gore-Tex. I assume the materials used for these parkas are the same that goes into the more expensive, branded products.
 

I took some photos of the parkas I bought for myself in Vietnam and saw the date to be September 18, 2017. Here are a couple of the photos.


The softer but water resistant and breathable parka that I usually wear over my clothes on rainy days.

My reliable back-up that I also take on trips. The fabric feels thicker, heavier. All-black means I can wear it over other material even more formal or business attire.

These are 6-year old parkas but they are in great shape even after several washings and dry cleanings over that period. In comparison, the wife's similar branded, and definitely more expensive jackets have deteriorated. It begs the question which should be considered fake when the so-called "knock-offs" are more durable.

-

No comments: