Monday, October 30, 2023

Another vintage Grand Seiko - GS 5646-8000

The latest addition to my collection is this Seiko GS 5646-8000 automatic watch. The watch is in great condition considering its 52 years. The only flaw would be the hole on the medallion. Other than that, the watch is in really good condition.

The watch has a simple dial design with day and date complications. The quick sets work and I use the Kanji day display.

Side view showing the signed crown

The other side view.

Here is the case back showing the medallion, which is in fair condition (i.e., there's a hole where the K and O of Seiko are). The serial number indicates the watch to have been manufactured on July 1971.

Close-up of the relatively pristine dial. The correct model number is indicated at the bottom of the dial.

Here is the obligatory wrist shot. The watch came with an aftermarket stainless steel strap that I adjusted so it fit my wrist perfectly.

The watch is powered by a Cal. 5646A that runs at 28,800 A/h with a potential power reserve of 46h.
 

Case back showing the model number
 

The watch does not feel as heavy as my 61GS models. Though hi-beat at 28,800 A/h, it is lower than the 36,000 A/h of my 6145 and 6146 GS watches. I wore the 5646 GS for 7 days straight to see if it runs well and keeps time. It did and became a part of my current rotation. It should be a keeper for now.

 

-


No comments: