Saturday, July 27, 2024

Back in Iloilo after a long while

I am back in Iloilo again after a long while. I was supposed to travel to Iloilo last year when we had a project in the city. That didn't materialize due to a very busy schedule. Early this year in February, I was also supposed to travel to attend the funeral of a beloved aunt. That also didn't push through and only my father was able to make the homecoming. He also visited last Holy Week when he attended their high school general homecoming.

View of Cabatuan town proper from our plane as we made the final approach to land at the airport. The church, San Nicolas de Tolentino, is at the center of the photo with the long white roof. The original roof collapsed decades ago and was never restored. This is perhaps the single most notable aberration for the church, which is also centuries old and among the province's treasures in terms of heritage.
 

Though the circumstances are not the most favorable I managed to travel to Iloilo for our coordination with UP Visayas and the hotel where we will be holding conference activities this coming September. This one's a very short trip so I won't be able to visit our home in Cabatuan. Perhaps that opportunity will come in September. It actually pains me not being able to visit loved ones especially two cousins I am particularly very close to. I didn't tell them I was in the city as I could not promise to meet up with them. I really do hope that I'll see them in September.

-

No comments: