Monday, August 5, 2024

Comfort food in Iloilo

I remember that almost right after the disaster brought about by Typhoon Ondoy (Ketsana) in 2009, I had to travel to Singapore not once but twice for a workshop and a conference I had to attend there. One focused on road safety while the other was on sustainable transport. Work aside, the trips to Singapore offered some consolation from the sadness I felt after the losses from the flood. It was a welcome break for me to go to Iloilo though on official business and only for an overnight stay. Among those I missed were the food and here are snapshots of some establishments as we traveled to our first meeting at Iloilo City Hall straight from the airport.

Merzci is a popular bakeshop but originated from Bacolod City in Negros Occidental. I wasn't able to take photos of the JD bakeshop and the Tibiao Bakery branches but Iloilo has so many bakeries and stores selling bread with the taste bringing me back to my childhood days.

My preferences for pinasugbo and other souvenir food items are Wewin's and Biscocho House. My aunts and cousins were the ones who recommended both decades ago.

Iloilo was recognized as a city of gastronomy by UNESCO. It is no wonder to me as the food there was terrific with much to offer those wanting to go on a food trip.

Old building location of a Biscocho House branch. The original one is in Jaro.

Atria branch of the popular Tatoy's Manokan & Seafoods restautant

More on food in Iloilo in future posts!

-

No comments: