Monday, September 2, 2024

Paalam Papa Luis

We lost a good uncle last Saturday. Luis Salamera or Papa Luis was the husband of my mother's younger sister Esperanza or Mama Panse as we call her. He had a stroke a while back before the pandemic and though he survived it was slow to recover. He was not as mobile as he used to and needed to be attended to. As such, he was not able to attend to many family events the past decade.

I cannot say or remember anything but good about Papa Luis. He was a good provider for his family including the 2 daughters from the first husband of my aunt that he practically considered his own. He made so many sacrifices including going overseas as a seaman. He was a radio operator in the 1980s and 1990s on ships that now don't require his skills. He helped the husband of my cousin to become employed as a seaman. The latter didn't have any formal training and was an auto mechanic before being able to board a ship. I am told that he also helped many others become OFWs. They have comfortable lives now with their children (my nephew and nieces) all graduates and with good jobs. That could not have been possible without him giving a recommendation and vouching for my cousin-in-law.

My fond memories of Papa Luis though were of playing chess with him. After my first cousin Manong Edgar, I thought Papa Luis was another very strong chess player. Being out at sea for long periods probably contributed to this. No, they didn't have gadgets or computers to play with that I assume now are the pastimes of seamen. So playing chess was probably one of the games they played and those who played well helped others become good players as well. Another pastime he had was reading. He read a lot of books, mostly the bestsellers, and took many of them home. Unfortunately, many of those perished in a fire that gutted their community many years ago. Still, many survived and I was able to borrow a few that I read back when I was in high school and college.

Papa Luis was a generous soul. Hindi siya madamot considering how people thought about seamen or OFWs as being infinite sources of money back then (I think that's how many perceive them even now.). If someone approached them for help, he would lend money even if he knew that money will not be repaid. His generosity extended to me and my siblings as well as my parents. He knew Tatay played tennis so one time he was on a break and came home, he gifted him with a nice racket. It was the same for other nieces and nephews and in-laws. He didn't need to be generous but I guess he was happy when he saw people happy with his pasalubong

Here's a heartfelt farewell to a good man. His life is well-lived and certainly touched the lives of many. Rest in peace in the eternal embrace of Our Maker.

-

No comments: