Friday, September 20, 2024

Cabatuan Church and Mortuary Chapel, Iloilo

I was two churches short of a Visita Iglesia in Iloilo as of Saturday last week. Sunday concluded my travel with a stop at my father's hometown of Cabatuan and completing the 7 churches visited with the Cabatuan Church and Mortuary Chapel. I heard Mass in Cabatuan and entering the church brought back a lot memories mostly from my childhood days vacationing in the town.

Cabatuan Church also dedicated to San Nicolas de Tolentino was built in 1834. It survived the 1948 earthquake though 4 of what were 6 belfries were destroyed by the quake. The church has 3 facades with the signature red bricks that distinguishes it from other heritage churches in the province. As time was limited and it was already raining, I didn't get a chance to take photos of the sides of the church.

Main gate of the cemetery leading to the mortuary chapel. The view of the chapel from this gate used to be blocked by the tomb of former Sen. Tomas Confesor, who is arguably the most prominent son of Cabatuan.

Mortuary Chapel of Cabatuan, Iloilo. The chapel is of baroque style and octagonal shape. This was completed in 1894.

I wrote about the mortuary chapel many years ago. The article may be found here. I will post more photos of the church and chapel in future posts.

-

No comments: