Thursday, December 28, 2017

Grand Seiko 9581-7020

I thought my collection could not be complete without a signature model of Seiko's. I have a King Seiko automatic watch, my favorite Kinetic and AGS watches, and Seiko 5. I found that vintage Grand Seiko's are very much in demand such that even the defective watches go for high prices as they are restored or used for spare parts. The automatics are the more expensive models and I've read about them in many articles and online fora. When I saw this watch, I initially had doubts about its authenticity as it was, first of all, a quartz. And so I again did some research online and found that this model was legit. Many discussions have referred to a Japanese site regarding this watch and I share the site here. Afterwards, I went to try to catch my first Grand Seiko.

I will probably change the strap. It is leather but I think the color is just not appropriate for this watch, and not "me". Besides, it takes away attention from the watch itself.
The watch has a simple face and obviously without the complications of day or date.
This is a very thin watch as shown above. It is a quartz but perhaps one of the best models around. I think we should dissociate from the notion that quartz watches are inferior to the mechanical and automatic relatives. The crown displays the GS logo.
Another view of the watch showing the crown and face.
It's difficult to get an old Grand Seiko as these watches, whether mechanical, automatic or quartz are very much in demand. I have not had the battery changed since I got the watch and so haven't had the chance to see what's inside. What I know from quick research is that it is powered by a very accurate single crystal 32.768 KHz movement. 1 Hz = 3,600 beats per hour so you can figure that this is much more accurate than the Hi Beat mechanical watches (i.e., 36,000 bph = 10 Hz).
The back prominently shows the GS logo that's etched to the cover instead of the brass logo that was glued to the back in the much sought after older GS automatic models.
Quite invisible in the previous photo are the details etched below the logo.
I will post an update later for when I am able to change the strap on this nice quartz watch.

[Note: The online Seiko Production Date Calculator estimates this to have been manufactured in November 1994. 7/19/2018]
-

No comments: