Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Seiko 5 6309-403A retro watch

December had become somewhat of a watch month for this blog.  This is because I've decided to document my collection recently. The acquisitions through the years necessitated this as well as the topic of watches being interesting to me to write about.

I have this retro watch with the TV face that I acquired a couple of months ago. I got it cheap also as it seemed to be under the radar in an online auction. I got this about the same time I got an even better Bulova automatic watch that's now with my brother.

The TV face of the watch was 'in' back in the 1970s. The watch model is 6309-403A and is part of the dependable Seiko 5 line.
Side view showing the small crown that may appear hidden when the watch is seen at certain angles
The bracelet is also somewhat retro 1970s. I remember one relative having another watch with a similar bracelet before.
The movement is rated to be at 21,600 A/h with a power reserve of 47 hours. I haven't really tried to test it yet but it runs well over the 2 to 3 days I usually use it in rotation with other watches during the typical week. In short, it keeps good time.
The back of the watch shows the model and water resistance. I have not opened or had it opened to see the movement yet. However, I got the specs on the movement thanks to the many online sources for the Seiko 6309 movement. The watch has a f = 21,600 A/h (or beats per hour).
Seiko 5's are probably the workhorse of the company in the sense that its features (automatic, water resistant, day, date, etc.) are desirable and it comes in many designs. It is also quite durable and very affordable compared to other watches. I will not be surprised if there are also fakes going around I think replicas are more likely for the luxury brands and the higher end models of Seiko.
The watch keeps good time and therefore reliable, and I keep it at the office as a "reserve" of sorts. It is a bit odd-shaped but I've found that it goes pretty well whenever I wear it.

[Note: The online Seiko Production Date Calculator estimates this to have been manufactured in April 1978. 7/19/2018]
-

No comments: