Saturday, December 30, 2017

Timor vintage military watch

As we wind down 2017, I thought it appropriate to feature yet another watch. I got this rare watch at my favorite online store. After I spotted it and noticed it not getting attention (i.e., few likes), I quickly did some research online. It is a military-style watch from the 1940s. These were small watches that were the norm during that period, were manufactured in Switzerland and issued by the British to their troops deployed around the globe at different theaters including the Pacific.

The patina on this one is quite nice and screams vintage. This is supposed to be from the 1940s but I won't be surprised if this watch was an even earlier model (maybe late 1930s?) though that may be quite a stretch. :)
The crown is consistent with the model and year and the domed the case is in very good condition for an old watch.
Another view of the watch showing the wear on the case that's understandable for the age of the watch.
This is the case back showing the watch is/was waterproof and non-magnetic. I dared not open the back to see the movement although I already cleaned some of the dirt from the watch. The watch back for such military watches must be inspected for certain marks that indicated they were actually issued during the Second World War. This one does not have the W mark, which makes it likely to have been a civilian-owned piece.
I had the old strap replaced (I kept it though) as it was obviously not the right one for this rather small watch with only a 14mm lug. I will likely look for a more rugged leather strap or even a NATO that's more appropriate for this military watch.
I haven't opened the watch yet to see the movement but I attempted to time it after what I felt was a full wind. I was quite careful not to wind it to its limit as I am not sure about the condition of the movement. It definitely passed the 24-hour mark and all indications so far is that it passed the 36-hour mark. It gives good time but I need to find a L strap for it. I could only manage to find a M strap, which I think looks better on a lady's watch than a vintage military watch. The lug is at 14mm so the  strap's not an easy one to find at most strap shops. Perhaps I should have one custom-made?
-

No comments: