Friday, December 1, 2017

Mido Commander Ocean Star Datoday

I open December with a post on a recent acquisition for my expanding collection. The 'new' watch is this Mido Commander Ocean Star Datoday. Mido is an established Swiss brand that's part of the Swatch group and is classified among the mid-range watches along with Tissot, Certina and Hamilton. I had taken little notice of this brand at duty free shops before but did remember it when I spotted the ad for the sale of one.

The combination of gold face and brown leather strap is uncharacteristic of me. I don't like the gold and have only had one gold-colored watch before - a Seiko quartz I wore in high school, circa 1984-1988.
The watch face is characteristic art deco with bling for the hour markers. The hands already show some corrosion.
The crown is hidden. I suspected first that it was a crude replacement but upon closer inspection with a magnifier, I confirmed it was probably a worn out original.
The brand is barely visible but you can discern the "Mido" embossed on the worn out crown.
Here is a side view showing the worn out crown and something embossed on it. Scratches are part of its being an old watch that was probably worn quite often by former owner(s).
The case back is quite worn out. This was a model that likely came out in the early 1970s.

I had not had a chance to open the watch to see the movement for myself but here is a photo that was posted by the seller:

The movement has 25 jewels and is rated at 28,800 A/H or beats per hour

This was a good catch in terms of the condition of the watch. I have been monitoring it against my other 'active' (those I have been rotating use everyday including my Seiko KS and my Kinetic) and it keeps very good time. I also researched its current value at comparable condition of the watch and got it for only about 30% - 40% of similar ones on the market including Ebay. I might just change the strap though as I am not so comfy with a brown strap even if its leather.

-

No comments: