Thursday, February 8, 2018

Vostok Amphibia Diver

My first Russian watch is a diver's and is fromt he Soviet era. I got this one from my favorite Visayan source who at first posted this as a manual wind. I did some simple research (Thank you, Google!) basically on translating the Cyrillic writing at the back of the watch to learn that this was an automatic with a winding feature to get the watch started and running.

Vostok Amphibia diver
A side view showing the crown and the pins I had installed for the watch to be fitted (some customization required) with new straps. The odd features of the lugs made it quite difficult to have any kind of strap or bracelet fitted to the watch. Now, I think leather straps are not the most appropriate for this watch. I think I will consider silicone straps for this one.
It is an old watch, likely from the 1980s and before the fall of the Soviet Union.
The rotating bezel is faded but fully functional.
I did some Google research on the Cyrillic writing to learn that this is an automatic with 200m water resistance.
A close-up shows what's translated as 'Made in the USSR' at the bottom of the face.
I had the watch overhauled and my repairman said he had some difficulty opening the back so he thinks this was the first time it was opened and cleaned. He also fixed some loose parts here and there to make sure everything is as it should be for this watch. It now keeps very good time and seems to be a functioning with a relatively high beat judging form the movement of the second hand. All the lumes are also functioning well and you can easily test that. It was resealed and features a screw-down crown so the watch should have some water resistance but not for what it was originally intended for, which is diving. Perhaps I will try it out for a dip?

-

No comments: