Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Mido Ocean Star Cal. 80

Easily rising among my favorites in my collection is this mint, practically brand-new Mido Ocean Star Cal. 80. It is a diver and can be considered a homage model resembling the famous submariner model of a popular luxury brand. Mido is by no means a pushover as it is a Swiss watchmaker and part of the Swatch Group, which includes Omega, Longines, Breguet, Glashutte and Tissot. I have another Mido that I wrote about before and that vintage watch is still running smoothly though it is not getting much wrist time.

The watch is in perfect condition and I like the color on this one. Mido is not a common brand you see in Philippine shops so it is not "pansinin" or one that attracts attention.
The watch has a date and day feature and red pointer at the end of the second hand.
The bezel is styled after the submariner's
Side view showing the signed crown. This is a screw-down crown designed for water resistance in case you use it for swimming or diving.
The clasp has an extension feature. The bracelet can be extended by pressing the smaller buttons near the end of the clasp connecting to the bracelet.
The back design is quite interesting as it features a starfish (Ocean Star).
Here's the "obligatory" wrist shot.
 
The '80' also is supposed to stand for another feature of the watch. That is, it is supposed to last 80 hours on a 'full charge'. I have not really timed it yet but I've left the watch unused for 2 to 3 days and it's still running when I check on it or when I decide to use it again. I recently used the watch while swimming over the long weekend, and so somewhat confirmed its water resistance. It's big at 42mm wide and 22mm lugs. It's heavy. It's my kind of watch. Definitely something for daily use.
-

No comments: