Thursday, August 30, 2018

Vintage Seiko 8306-8040 - M99 Sea Lion

Among the collectible Seiko watches is this model associated with the Sea Lion on the case back. This is from the 1960s and came in different variants. I've seen many being sold that are already quite beat up.  I got this one clean and polished. The face though has some wear to it and the hour markers have some bling to them.

Interesting face with some fancy bling for the hour indices. The watch has a date and day feature; both of which are functional and can be easily adjusted.
Side view showing more of the polished case.
Side view showing the crown
Case back showing the Sea Lion and the watch features including its being waterproof, and having Diashock shock protection, which is Seiko's answer to incabloc.
A close-up of the bottom of the watch face reveals a faded model number

The like date of manufacture for this watch is July of 1966 based on the online Seiko Production Date Calculator. The watch movement is an 8306A that beats at 18,000bph. It is automatic but can be wound manually. So far, I know that the watch lasts more than 24hours when not being used after a combination of actual use and winding. The watch is pretty reliable (not too fast or slow) and so I also use it more often that some in my collection.

Here's the watch on my wrist after I changed the strap
I'm actually thinking about parting with this one soon. Whether others think its still a desirable piece is another thing so we'll see if this one goes quickly or fate decides it stay with me a little longer.
-

No comments: