Sunday, November 3, 2019

Omikron Thin-o-date automatic watch

I have a couple of manual wind Omikrons including the mint condition that's become somewhat a favorite of my wife. Manually wound Omikrons are quite ordinary for vintage watches from a brand that's been discontinued. So the first time I saw an automatic Omikron, I jumped at the opportunity to acquire it.

Watch dial has a date feature
Side view showing the crown that fits right into the case for that full UFO effect.
The other side view
Case back showing the watch's features. Note the term 'waterproof' instead of 'water resistant'
Close-up of the cream-colored dial. The lumes still work fine,
The obligatory wrist shot
The movement is an AS 1863 beating at 21,600 A/h with a potential storage of 42h when used regularly. The movement dates the watch to be from ca. 1970.
I've worn the watch several times and more often than others in my collection. It is pretty accurate and therefore reliable. I haven't had it serviced so far since I acquired it so perhaps that's the next thing to do with the watch so I would have a reference date for maintenance. It's definitely a keeper for now and it pairs with the wife's manual wind Omikron.
-

No comments: