Thursday, November 14, 2019

Vintage Jaeger LeCoultre Memovox / Wrist Alarm 9386

I currently have three Jaegers in my collection. These include 2 iconic models of the watch - a Futurematic and a Memovox. The Memovox is an alarm watch meaning it has an alarm feature. I have had a few alarm watches including a Seiko Bell-matic that I had unloaded last year. I still have a Helbros Alarm, which is the first one I acquired and a Poljot that I rarely used.

The Memovox is an alarm watch. It has 2 crowns - one for the time settings and another for the alarm settings. The watch is wound using the crown at 4 o'clock and its alarm may be wound using the crown at 2 o'clock.
View showing the 2 crowns
The other side view. Notice the markings just above the 5:30 mark on the dial? That is the indicator for the alarm setting. I don't usually wind the alarm so it doesn't go off.
Case back featuring a notch that allows for easy opening and access to the movement
The watch runs on a Cal. 814 movement beating at 18,000 A/h with a potential reserve of 52h and alarm of up to 20 seconds.
I wanted to show the watch with the customized strap I got a while back that I haven't used with any of my watches. It turns out that this was the watch for it. Leather strap is from Two One Four Straps.
The obligatory wrist shot

I would wear this watch more often if only I wasn't worried about it being damaged. I have similar feelings with the Futurematic as well as at least 5 other vintage watches in my collection (yes, that includes the Baume chronograph). I wear this and the other favorites (keepers) whenever I have a light schedule when I don't need a hardy or water resistant watch. That does not include fieldwork or I am on vacation with family as physical activity might compromise the watches. :)

-

No comments: