Sunday, December 6, 2020

"Revisiting" Yamate Catholic Church

I purposely used quotation marks for 'revisiting' in the title of this post as this was a virtual visit to Yamate Church (Sacred Heart Cathedral). By chance, I read in the church's weekly newsletter that there was an online Mass. And so I decided to attend this instead. The 8:30 AM (PST : 9:30 AM JST) was about the same time the English Mass was celebrated there when I was residing in Yokohama. Here are some screenshots of the altar before and during the Mass.

The altar is how it was the last time I was in Sacred Heart in 2013. I was not able to go there in 2014, the last time I was in Japan but I assumed little has changed in the interiors of the church.

The priest is from the Philippines and his homilies are well worded and articulated for an international congregation. I recall that during my 3 years + in Yokohama, a Filipino priest celebrated Mass at Yamate only once a month and on a Sunday afternoon for the Philippine Mass (in Filipino or Tagalog). I must confess I did not attend those Masses as I usually served in the morning 10-11AM Mass. Sunday afternoons were usually spent in Tokyo with friends who are mostly based there or, if I felt like it, on my own personal adventures.

I will try to write about my memories and experiences at Yamate. I still am saddened when I think about all the photos from the 1990s and early 2000s with friends and our activities there. I am just glad I can keep in touch with some of them after we have all left Yokohama for our respective countries.

-

No comments: