Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Seiko 6138-0040 Bullhead Speedtimer chronograph

The 6138-0040 is one of the more sought after chronographs from Seiko. It has two main variants - one maroon and brown and another blue and black. I have both in my collection that I consider among my favorite watches.

The watch often called the "Seiko Bullhead" or simply "Bullhead" has 2 registers for the chronograph. The day wheel features Kanji and English days.

Side view again featuring the registers. The hour & minute hands are somewhat stained. These are not luminous for this model.

The other side view showing the case and bezel to be overall in great condition.

 
Close-up of the dial showing it to be in great condition. It is aged but I suspect it is not the original one. The dial number matches or is consistent with the model number at the back cover.

The strap is an original stainless Seiko 5 Sports that is from the same period but is not the original for this model. You can find nice aftermarket fishbone bracelets for this watch.

The bull's head features the crown and the two chronograph buttons as "horns".

Case back showing the correct model number and the serial number indicating this watch to have been manufactured in August 1976.

The obligatory wrist shot. I tried to find a photo when I first wore this watch but its somehow lost in an old phone. I wasn't documenting my collection at the time.


The watch is powered by a Cal. 6138B movement that runs at 21,600 A/h with a potential power reserve of 45h. It is the same movement in the Kakume so they actually share parts. A friend even joked that it seems these watches were like Toyotas with the common parts among various models.

Here is a nice reference from The Spring Bar for the Bullhead collector. :)

-

No comments: