Saturday, December 19, 2020

Vintage Seiko 7016-5020 "Monaco"

 Perhaps one of the most popular and collectible watches is the Tag Heuer Monaco. This was the one worn and promoted by Steve McQueen in one of those classic movies featuring car races. Other watch companies have gone on to produce homages or their versions of the Monaco but perhaps one of the more successful and popular would be Seiko's take using its Cal. 7016 for the chronograph. It is not difficult to find these watches but they can be very expensive though not as much as the original Monaco's.

After taking opening the courier package, this box was revealed.
 
First time I saw the watch after I removed the bubble wrap protecting it

Close-up of the dial showing the second sub-dial, the chronograph hand, and the day and date complications

Wrist shot when I first wore the watch

The following photo were taken the following day. I felt I had to have good lighting (i.e., daylight) to give this watch justice for my documentation here on my blog.

The brown dial shows a watch that has aged well.

Side view showing the crown and the chronograph buttons. The quick sets work with the day adjusted by pushing the crown and the date set with the first pull of the crown.

The other side view. The dial features raised hour markers and the lumes on the hour and minute hands are practically gone. The crystal appears to be a replacement as it is in great condition

Case back showing the serial and model numbers. The serial number indicates the watch to have been manufactured in September 1976.

Another close-up of the dial

An even closer look at the dial's bottom part shows the dial number jives with the model number in the case back.

I replaced the strap with a rally strap from Hirsch. The black and red seem to bring out the watch's beauty. Some people prefer a polished, new-looking watch. I am okay with the 'used', vintage look of these watches. Of course, the movement inside the watch is the more important aspect that I am more concerned with for my collection.
 

The watch is powered by Cal. 7016 that runs at 21,600 A/h with a potential reserve of 41 hours. I was a bit surprised to find the lugs to be at 22mm. I was thinking this to be 19 to 20mm. The straps are okay for now but I think rally straps will be perfect for this watch. This model, after all, was inspired by the original Monaco that was promoted for car races.

-

No comments: