Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Vintage Seiko World Time 6117-6409, another BMBY watch

I am always on the lookout for watches that are my BMBY - birth month, birth year. It is not an easy search and whenever I spot one, I try to acquire it as long as it is within my budget. I already have a King Seiko, a Lord Matic and an Actus. Other Seiko watches are somewhat near BMBY in that they can be my birth month watch or birth year watch. And so when this World Time model came about, I was a bit excited considering the model was among the most collectible but a bit worried that the price could escalate so quickly. Fortunately, I was able to get this at a very reasonable price.

The watch box after I unwrapped it from the courier's packaging
 

The first time I saw the watch upon opening the box - the leather strap and buckle was not the original but was a pleasant surprise nonetheless because it was a Hirsch and only slightly used.

Photo taken the first time I examined the watch when I took it out from the box

The watch has a linen dial, a GMT hand, a working rotating world time bezel, and a date complication. The lumes also work for this watch that's in practically pristine condition. I had to wait to take these photos in good light.
Side view showing the crown at the 4 o'clock position

The other side view - these angles show if the crystal has cracks or scratches. This watch's crystal doesn't have those.

Case back showing the model and serial numbers. This watch was manufactured in February 1972, my BMBY.

Close-up to show the really great condition of the dial and the world time inner bezel

Close-up of the linen dial showing the dial number 6117-6420T

The obligatory wrist shot - the strap was an XL so it fit and adjusted perfectly to my wrist. I was also pleasantly surprised that the strap was a Hirsch so that meant the leather was of high quality.

The Cal. 6117B movement running this watch

The watch is powered by a Seiko Cal. 6117B, which runs at 21,600 beats per hour and has a potential power reserve of up to 46 hours. I haven't had the chance to observe the watch quite thoroughly but it has managed to run overnight after a day's use, running until the next day's use. Perhaps wearing it more frequently (i.e., successive days) and then leaving it to run will give a good enough estimate of the power reserve.

-

No comments: