Thursday, January 6, 2022

Guilty pleasures - pinasugbu

I found this at the supermarket and did not hesitate getting a pack. I loved pinasugbu since I first had one when I was a toddler vacationing in my father's hometown in Iloilo more than 4 decades ago. Pinasugbu is basically fried saba banana slices dipped in caramelized brown sugar. Often it is sprinkled with sesame seeds to enhance the taste and texture.

Wewin's special and delicious Pinasugbu

Back in the day, I recall we usually bought pinasugbu from Lucy's, which had a shop near the old Iloilo Airport in Mandurriao. I think they closed shop many years ago but we bought from Wewin's upon recommendation of an aunt who said their pinasugbu was just right - not too soft, not too hard on the teeth, and not too sweet (but that's a relative thing, of course). Later, I got our pinasugbu from Biscocho Haus, which had one stop shops around the city and along the way to the new airport.

I checked again the next time I was doing our groceries and there were no more Wewin's pinasugbu there. Perhaps they will restock again soon? I will probably get a couple or more packs the next time.

-

No comments: