Thursday, June 23, 2022

A vintage Seiko 6139-8030 chronograph

I have been writing about my watch collection, which now and then is being updated with the addition of some select pieces I have been able to acquire. One such model is this rare 6139-8030. This adds to my collection of Seiko chronographs. My favorites are the 6138s but the 6139s are not far behind.

The 6139-8030 features day and date complications as well as a sub-dial.

Side view showing the crown and chronograph buttons

The other side view showing the overall good condition of this watch. The watch band is aftermarket and is not the most appropriate one for this model. It serves its purpose though and I prefer the steel band over leather ones especially if I want to wear the watch on the field.

The case back bears the correct model number. The serial number indicates the watch to have been manufactured in January 1973 - the birth month and year of my wife.

 
Close-up of the bottom of the original dial showing the correct dial number

Close-up of the dial, which is in very good shape. I suspect though that at least the hand set has been replaced. Still, all the parts are consistent with the model.

Close-up of the dial number


The mandatory wrist shot

I don't have a photo of the movement but this is the same Cal. 6139B that runs at 21,600 A/h with a potential power reserve of 45h. The movement is supposed to have been manufactured and installed on chronographs made by Seiko from 1972-1979. This is definitely a keeper.

-

No comments: